Google Maps has turned 15 this year! Yes, Google Maps is an integral part of our daily lives as it acts as a guide in all the unknown places we are out to explore. Google has announced a slight redesign of the app and the addition of new features on this occasion. As per Google, more than 1 billion people use Google Maps to explore the world.
Just like every success story, Google Maps faced its share of struggle too. Google Map’s journey of 15 years has not exactly been a cakewalk. You may not know this but Google Maps has earlier faced criticism for disinformation and Google has removed millions of fake business profiles in response to the criticism. Now, that you know that even Google has had its share of troubles before it achieved huge success, let’s talk about what is in store for you in the redesigned Google Maps app.
The search engine giant decided to redesign the logo apart from adding some new features. The icon has gone through a series of transitions. Right from the simple map intersection icon to the new Google hued pin on a white background. The new Google hued pin more closely resembles the branding of other applications by Google. The Google hued pin comprises of four colors that are used in other Google logos.
It is believed that Google made all these changes to stay ahead in the competition. By competitors, we mean Apple, which recently redesigned its own Apple Maps application.
From now, you will see an updated Google maps version on Android and iOS devices. It will give you everything you need in five easily accessible tabs. The tabs are Explore, Commute, Saved, Contribute and Updates.
We have explained each of these tabs below so that you know how they are going to help you.
- Explore – The Explore tab will use the location-sensing capabilities of your smartphone to provide you reviews and details about nearby restaurants, theatres, shops, and other venues.
- Commute – The commute tab will ease your everyday commute worries. The tab will tell you the efficient routes to and from work irrespective of whether you are driving or using public transit. Moreover, your daily commute is set up to get traffic updates, suggestions for alternative routes, and travel times – all in real-time.
- Saved – The Saved tab will give you access to more than 6.5 billion places saved by other Google Maps users. You also have the option to share recommendations of some places that you visited with other users.
- Contribute – The updated Google Maps app comes with a “Contribute” tab to a menu at the bottom of Google Map’s mobile app. The newly added Contribute tab is for you to share knowledge about local places. For instance, details about roads and addresses, photos, missing places, etc to help others who are looking for recommendations.
- Updates – Again a useful addition in the Google Maps app. The updates tab is here to keep you updated about all the trending spots near you. Apart from discovering, saving and sharing recommendations, you also have the option to directly chat with businesses for answers to your questions.
Some other features in the updated app are a fun party-themed car icon to real-time directions that can be seen using augmented reality. The real-time directions feature will be boon for pedestrian traffic. Also, the use of the camera will give better visibility to the traveler.
As per the statistics, Google Maps has more than a billion active users and it has covered 220+ countries and territories. Moreover, Google Maps provides live traffic information in 171 countries. These are some pretty impressive statistics, to say the least. Last year, Google had included a feature that predicts how crowded a public transit could be. Also, other crucial information such as whether public transit can accommodate people with disabilities and if there is security on board.
In this manner, Google has always come to our rescue for anything and everything we need. It’s like having a personal assistant at our disposal 24/7. Time and again Google has proved to be our faithful assistant. The new version of Google Maps seems to be very exciting and promises to improve the overall user experience.
However, as more and more people will use the updated version of Google Maps, we will be able to know how much the app has improved overall and whether people are loving it or not!